How to Apply:
- Apply and be accepted as a student to LSTC. Please contact the Admissions Office for more information about this process. You may apply for federal financial aid while you are waiting to be accepted into LSTC. You must be an eligible degree seeking student to receive federal financial aid.
- File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are applying for Fall 2014 fill out the 2014-15 FAFSA form. The priority FAFSA deadline is April 1, 2014. If you are applying for the June 2014 HEO Program, fill out the 2013-14 FAFSA form and the 2014-15 FAFSA form. Make sure you and your parent (if required) sign the FAFSA form. Please remember to keep your FAFSA PIN number in a safe place. You will need your PIN number if you want to borrow a student loan. It is recommended that you complete your 2013 federal tax return prior to completing the 2014-2015 FAFSA form. You must list LSTC (school code 004711-00) as a college choice. Complete the 2014-2015 FAFSA form as soon as possible after January 1, 2014. The Central Processing Center must receive this form by April 1, 2014 to be considered for state grant assistance.
- After the FAFSA form has been processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), either by mail or e-mail, from the U.S. Department of Education. Review the FAFSA information carefully and make any corrections that are necessary.
- Approximately 30% of all federal financial aid applicants are selected for a process called verification. If you are selected for verification, you will be notified. You must complete a 2014-15 verification worksheet and complete the IRS Data Retrieval process on the FAFSA form. If you are unable to perform the IRS Data Retrieval process, you will be required to provide a 2013 IRS Tax Return Transcript to the Financial Aid Office. If you did not file a 2013 tax return, you must provide copies of any 2013 W-2 forms you received. LSTC will verify the information submitted on the FAFSA form matches your tax documents and submit any changes to the U.S. Department of Education. If you are selected for verification, you MUST submit the requested documents to LSTC before your financial aid can be processed.
- When LSTC has received the FAFSA results, all requested documents, and you have been admitted into your degree program by the Admissions Office, your financial aid can be determined. You will receive an e-mail to your LSTC student email account with the link to your Financial Aid Award Offer. The Award Offer lists the types and amounts of federal aid that you are eligible to receive.
- Electronically sign your Award Offer. You may accept or decline any aid that is offered. Print and keep a copy of the Award Offer for your records. You can request a paper copy of the Award Offer by contacting the Financial Aid Office.
- If you are borrowing a Federal Stafford Loan, you must complete Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling before LSTC will process your loan. Please complete the on-line counseling session as soon as possible. This must be completed by all borrowers. If you need assistance, please contact the Financial Aid Office to schedule an appointment in our counseling lab.
- All first-time borrowers will need to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). You may sign your MPN electronically.
- Loan funds will not be received at LSTC until the 31st day of the semester(s) for which you are enrolled.
- Please return all requested information as soon as possible so your financial aid can be processed in a timely manner.
On July 1, 2014, our name is changing to the State Technical College of Missouri to better reflect our important statewide role in technical education. Visit www.linnstate.edu/namechange to learn more.